The Federal Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development have released their 2014 Annual Report for Airline On Time Performance, with Whitsunday Coast Airport making the top ten airports in Australia for both on time arrivals and departures.
Whitsunday Regional Council Mayor Jenny Whitney said 88.3% of departing flights and 90.8% of flight arrivals were on time at Whitsunday Coast Airport last year.
“This is a fantastic achievement for Whitsunday Coast Airport, especially given the growth in passenger numbers the airport experienced last year and given a new airline partner and route was introduced,” she said.
“Whitsunday Coast Airport was eighth for on-time arrivals and ninth for on-time departures out of all Australian airports in 2014.
“During this same period we saw passenger numbers increase by 13.7% seeing nearly 265,000 passengers pass through the airport.
“In April last year the new route between Whitsunday Coast Airport and Sydney was also introduced with direct Tiger flights.
“Congratulations must go to our airline partners, ground crew and airport staff for all their hard work during the airports best year on record.
“We anticipate passenger numbers will be even better this year with continued growth in all the current routes and the introduction of direct flights to Melbourne starting from June 2015,” she said.
2014 was the best year on record for Whitsunday Coast Airport with the following achievements:
• Top ten airport in Australia for on-time departures and arrivals
• Highest number of passengers ever 264,505
• 13.7% overall increase in passenger numbers on the previous year
• Introduction of Tiger Air direct Sydney services in April
• In May, the Airport achieved the best on time arrival and departure performance in Australia
• The Whitsunday Coast Airport International Export Hub Project progressed in-conjunction with the State Government to master plan the entire airport site and provide
• Priority Development Area status across the site
• First quarter results for the 2014-15 year achieved record results
• Winning the Local Government Tourism and Business Award at the 2014 Whitsunday Tourism and Business Awards
• Maintaining capacity with all of our airline partners
• Achieving the best monthly passenger number result on record in October 2014 with more than 26,000 passengers
The full 2014 Annual Report for Airline On Time Performance report can be viewed here: